Me

Me

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hello, again!

I didn't think I'd have time to update things so soon, but I made some notes and wanted to share some of them while I had the opportunity.  I don't want to leave anything out.  :)  Please feel free to message me questions or make comments on things you may want to know about here and I'll do my best to answer them.  I'm still trying to figure things out myself, so please be patient.  Pictures will come eventually.  The following paragraphs will probably be out of order and kind of messy, but I'm just kind of writing it as I made my notes...

One thing I'm struggling to adjust to is the different units of measurements.  In addition to the monetary change, I have to adjust to things being in kilometers rather than miles and temperature in Celsius rather than Farenheit.  I still don't have any type of grasp on it, but I'm working on it.

We had our first day of school today as teachers.  I sat in on 4 classes, all science and the environment.  Some of the material is stuff I haven't tackled in a long time!  I'm going to learn as much as these kids, I believe.  HaHa, you'll get a laugh to know that my first science class with my 6th grade kids was covering human reproduction.  HaHa, awkward!  (For me!)  My first word in English to these kids (aside from "Hello, my name is Ashley") was "Penis." NOT kidding.  HaHa!  Anyway, these children have been exposed to Joanne and I for a day and already we get mauled in the streets by these kiddos.  They're screaming, "Hello!" (One of the few words they are confident in in English) and calling us, "Teacher, teacher!"  It's super cute.  One set of young girls, probably 4 or 5 years old actually knocked on our door (at our house) and asked us to come out.  HaHa, it was cute.  :)  They are so excited to see a new face that they are definitely showing off and acting up in class.  I can see the frustration in some of the teacher's eyes, but I guess it's something they have to expect.

I wanted to let my food friends know that I haven't gotten to experience too much yet.  I know I'm supposed to update that and I haven't.  I've had a variety of tapas (appetizers) including chips (they call them crisps), french fries (they call them chips), ham, olives, nuts, shrimp, etc... Tapas are served every time you buy a new drink.  It's kinda genius.  You drink & eat & the food helps slow down the drinking and fills you up so you don't drink as much.  I haven't, anyway.  HaHa!  I did try something called a flamenquin last night.  It was a mix of chicken kiev and cordon bleu... but it was a thin pork chop rolled up with ham and cheese in the middle and deep-fried.  It was actually very tasty.  Looked a bit funny, but quite tasty.  I have pictures, but I will post them at a later date.  :)  We also went to McDonald's yesterday in Jaen.  It wasn't much different.  Different options, but overall the same.  The beef definitely tastes better in Kansas.  Food and drink places are open until all hours of the night here.  They open early (some at 8 a.m.) and then close from 2 to 5 or 6 for siesta and then open back up until the last patron leave, be it 7 the next morning or whatever.  I haven't been out past midnight... I'm still trying to catch up on my sleep and get this figured out.  HaHa!  But I'm sure I'll experience Spanish nightlife soon enough.  Since I was in the industry, I asked about tipping.  They don't.  And they don't expect tips.  Isn't that crazy!?!  I feel awful not tipping, but they litterally do not expect them and no one gives them.  I haven't had much opportunity to actually tip yet, but I probably will just because.  I'd feel too bad if I didn't.  That's just me.  :)  All the food and drink has been pleasant, but a little rough on getting the stomach.  Slowly, though.  I'm getting used to it.  :)

I have a whole page worth of things that I will eventually post about, but I am being surrounded by 6 of my students who are chatting with me in Spanish and I do not know what they are saying.  I'm going to log off and attempt to conversate with them.  :) 

2 comments:

  1. Excited to follow you! I have a hard time going to the store let alone another country!!! Be careful!!! I'll be thinkin n follwing ya ;) - louree

    ReplyDelete
  2. So were your tapas free with the purchase of a drink? If so, you lucky dog! haha Andalucia rocks when it comes to free tapas. The different measurements did take awhile for me to get used to as well. I'm so glad you are teaching the Spanish students about the word penis so early! LOL Sounds like you're enjoying it already! I can't wait to read more updates! :)

    ReplyDelete