Me

Me

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

My Return to the Rabbit Hole...

Well, I returned to Jaén today for my second NIE appointment. My nerves kept me from getting a good night's sleep, but none-the-less, I made the trip in hopes of a positive result. I must tell you, I did everything in my power to influence whatever powers I could to make this trip go better than the last. I wore my necklace that I got from my Great Grandma. I listened to songs that give me positive vibes. I actually took a walk around the park before I made my way to the foreigner's office. I took pictures of the park that turned out really beautifully. I was determined to find the positivity in the day regardless of the outcome at my appointment. I put a conscious effort into making sure I thought positive and it's amazing what a little positive energy can do... (I can't say that my attitude would be the same if the results weren't the same...)

Here are the park pictures:

I must say that I am quite proud of this one... Look at all the colors of the leaves!

The park in Jaen

A massive treehouse in the park

Just another part of the walkway

My appointment was at 11:00 in the morning, so I showed up about 45 minutes early (not the 2 ½ hours that we did last time). I stood in line to check in, my stomach in knots not knowing what to expect and just hoping that I would be able to speak well enough to survive this day. The room was not so smelly, not so hot, not so annoying... Maybe that's just the power of the positive thought? Who knows? I'll take it, whatever it is. I patiently waited my turn. When I got to the counter, I only showed her my passport and she immediately picked up a folder to her left that had my name on it and paperwork inside that was only mine. Wow! A much better beginning than last time... at least I was expected and it looked as if something would be accomplished. I didn't want to get too excited, though, because I was certain that something was bound to go wrong. She gave me my ticket and I took my place in a seat and waited for my number to be called. At about 11 on the dot, my number was called and I took a deep breath and made my way through the double doors and to the desk where the tiny little mean man was waiting for me. Turns out, when I have what I need for him and am at his desk for the right reasons at the right time, he's a pretty nice guy. So, I officially take back the "tiny little mean man" remark. He's a tiny little nice man now. I provided the documents that I needed, he punched some things into the computer and verified my address here, took my fingerprint (singular... he took one finger of one hand), stapled some papers together, and then gave me further instructions. I was to go to the bank, pay the tax, and come back in 40 days. The whole appointment today lasted a whole 5 minutes or less and I walked away with a temporary card that will allow me to open a bank account and get paid via direct deposit. So, after the new year, I go back to the same office and provide my receipt of payment of the tax and they give me my real card. As far as I can tell, that's it. And that final trip doesn't require an appointment. So, technically, as of today, I am an offically recognized temporary resident of Spain. The day went much smoother than I expected and I appreciate that so much simply because it's the first day that has went as it should. At this point, I needed a day like that, especially in regard to the political aspect of this whole thing. Anyway, I figured I may as well go pay the tax while I was there, so I did. Now, I just wait! Nothing more on my part that can be done. :)

I had some extra time after my appointment to do a little walking around. I attempted to do the shopping thing and I succeeded in buying something to mail to Lynnon for Christmas, haha! She's so easy to shop for!! :) I didn't find anything else, but it was fun to look. I saw stuff that I liked and stuff that I wanted, but couldn't justify buying it. Look at me all grown up making sound financial decisions... HaHa! I went to this small shopping center a few blocks from the bus station and I walked pass this store with purses in it (of COURSE I had to stop...) and I went to open the door. It wouldn't open. I could see people browsing in the store, so I knew they were open. I pulled again. Nothing. Then a lady said that I need to push a button to get in. ??? I looked up to see this intercom type button that I had to push. I could hear it buzz inside the store and a lady came and had to let me in by unlocking the door from the inside. They do this for each individual customer. How random! I suppose it's a good way to prevent theft because I had to be 'buzzed' out, too. Every store in this center had a little buzzer thing. It was strange. I stopped for a coffee and to catch up on my Scrabble with Schuette at a little cafe that had wireless and then made my way to the bus station for the bus back to the village. This bus ride was a much more pleasant and happy bus ride home.

Ok... let me address this driving thing... people here are NUTS! I'm sure that if they came to the states, they'd see things like this of our and think WE were the crazy ones, but for now... I think they are crazy! HaHa! (No disrespect to my Spanish friends!) They park on the sidewalks everywhere. I mean, literally, ON the sidewalk. It doesn't matter what side of the street they are driving on, they park wherever they want. The roads are so thin that I am not sure how one vehicle manuevers down it, but they fit two somehow. And it's like a fine art that they have perfected in their ability to not have a wreck. I really would have thought I'd have seen numerous fender benders, but I have seen none. Zero. This roads are thin, the hills are steep, and the turns/curves are sharp, but they make it work somehow. I have to close my eyes at times to will my survival. These thin streets are the same place that tiny little cars face off against the massive buses of the public transportation system. I seriously do not know how they do it. Some of the hills are so steep and curves so sudden that it's like they have a sixth sense that tells them if someone is or isn't coming up/down from the other direction. It's honeslty pretty amazing, haha. I am not in any hurry to drive here, though! I'd be too frightened (as should anyone on the road with me if I get behind a wheel at this point!). They are nuts, but they are good at it. It works. I'll have to take some pictures sometime... I haven't yet. It's just crazy, haha! :)

My father and brothers would be so proud of me! I've been doing quite the handy work around the house. We have low water pressure in the shower, so my intention was to unscrew the shower head and clean it out a little bit. Dougie is out of town and I have no idea where he keeps a screwdriver, so I used a butter knife and figured it out!! HaHa! I think Joanne is impressed. I am impressed, too. I'm figuring out gas powered heaters and hot/cold water issues. I'm working on TV stuff and bleaching floors. I will make someone a good wife someday, haha! Good to know some stuff rubbed off on me. :) I'm far from skilled, but I'm making it work! I'm using a water bottle to warm my bed at nights; I am using a gas can to 'take the chill out of the room;' I am hanging my clothes out to dry; I am surviving on much less internet (a positive, I think); I am doing good!  HaHa!

On my way back from Jaen today, I took some photos of the mountains we passed.  Yes, more mountains... haha... deal with it.  There's this one area that I think is gorgeous... I took about five pictures of it so you can see how it opens up.  







 I'm in a bus, remember, so it's not as good as it could be, but I think it does it some justice... it's so pretty (as I continue to say)!  :) 

I'm going to close this entry, but I wanted to be sure and post an update on the whole NIE process for those of you on the edge of your seats.  :)  I'm much more relaxed at this point and very grateful for it!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! I'm glad to hear that you had a great day and everything worked out! Yeah, the way they drive on the mountain roads is insane! I'm usually not scared of heights, but sometimes I just had to "rest my eyes" so I wouldn't stress out about us falling off the edge or something haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy your posts. I feel like I am experiencing your journey right beside you. Love you...

    ReplyDelete