Me

Me

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Vatican City

I am trying to get you all caught up on the happenings of our European vacation.  I left you at the Fontana di Trevi in Rome.  Our other big stop in Rome was Vatican City. 

A fun little side story that wasn't so funny at the time...

Clint & I got separated for about 3 or 4 hours in Rome.  Let me explain.  We were taking the metro on the morning we decided to go to the Vatican.  We originally headed in the wrong direction, so we got off at the first stop and decided to catch the next tram headed in the opposite direction.  We were toward the back of the crowd getting onto the train and I got onto it as they began to shut the doors.  Clint had some of his body in the door, but couldn't keep the door open.  We tried to push the button that opens the doors and it wouldn't open.  A guy inside told me, "No, you can't do that."  I just laughed... a nervous, shaky laugh.  I went to the next stop and got off assuming Clint would get on the next tram and meet me at that stop.  Well, that didn't happen.  It was a very hectic few hours.  I sat at the entrance of the Vatican museum for an hour thinking I should stay in one place in case he was going all over the place.  When he didn't show up, I just decided to go to the one place we had in common for sure and that was our hotel.  Eventually, he showed up after running all over Rome looking for me.  It was a big 'ol mess that turned out just fine in the end.

St. Peter's Basilica

Inside the Basilica

Just a close up of the detailing and the gold plating

Inside the Vatican museum is the world famous Sistine Chapel with the ceiling painted by Michelangelo... Here are a few shots of that ceiling... It was pretty breath-taking.





I am not the most religous of people, but being in the presence of a place like this gave me quite a powerful feeling.  It was just really amazing.  Pictures can't do it justice, but that's the best way I have to relay it to you.  Unbelievable.

Rome was hot.  I am sure that came through in my first Roman entry, but it's worth repeating, I think.  It was a very pretty, very historic city, but I think seeing it once is plenty for me.  If I were to ever go again, I would go during the cooler months of the year because the summer is nearly unbearable.  It was fairly easy to get around once we figured out the basics of the transportation system.  It was hot, but we came out alive!  :) 

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, as I remember, pictures of the Sistine Chapel are forbidden... :) Nice contraband. I'm glad you had a nice time in Italy; Rome is a special place. Also glad that Clint survived running with the bulls. Hope you're having a wonderful time at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actual not forbidden anymore! Signs say that it is, but the security just request that there are no flashes, so it's not contraband! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Very sneaky Ashley! When I was there last year, the security guards kept yelling "No photos!" in Italian, yet I saw lots of people still taking them haha. Sorry Rome was so hot, but glad you had a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete