Me

Me

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Checkin' In... rAnDoM nOtEs

Greetings!!

I hope this finds you & your family well! I gotta say, this week, for no particular reason, I missed my family a little bit more than normal. I can’t wait to see everyone this summer and give out hugs and play a little bit with Lynnon. J Not too much longer until I see everyone again!

Speaking of my family, I sent some Italian care packages home this week. I sent two packages. One for my family in Barber County & one for Clint Massey. I think that I am, single handedly, helping the post office here figure out how to ship internationally. I wanted two packages of medium size to ship home. They have a display case in the post office with faded boxes that shows the sizes and option you can get. Apparently, those are the only boxes they have available. ONE… of each size. Clearly no one ships much from the village. I now know why. I had no option but to buy one medium and one large box. I got Clint’s package packed up nicely in the medium box. Then, I went to pack up the box for my family. This massive box for 5 or 6 small items. I had to stuff it full of newspaper just to get it filled. When they receive it, there’s going to be more newspaper than souvenirs, haha! I got up extra early on Wednesday to go to the post office to get it all packaged and mailed before work. I stood in there for 45 minutes while they tried to figure out how to plug it into the computer properly with the customs form and all that. After 45 minutes, I had 5 minutes to make it to work, so I asked him if I could come back after work and pay. When I returned a few hours later, he had already sent them off and only had my receipt and bill waiting for me. 64.50 euros!!!!!! I was prepared for it to be at least 40, but was FlOoReD to see 65! I had to pay for the volume of the boxes in addition to the weight and for the actual box. And since they are poorly stocked and I had to buy the bigger box for the other package, that increased my expense. And it’s full of newspaper!! I paid it, obviously. The boxes were already gone, so I didn’t have much of an option. It’s not like I send stuff home often, but knowing how pricey it is will definitely make it less often for me in my second year. Whew! Expensive!! It better all get there in good time and good shape!

It’s been a rainy and cold couple of weeks. Last weekend, it even snowed for awhile! I couldn’t see the mountains outside my window, it was so thick. So, the crappy weather doesn’t make my place any better… it’s still freezing! I can still, on occasion, see my breath. Man, it’s cold. It’s actually nicer/warmer outside than in my place, haha. It’s making me one tough Cookie. J The rain is nice, but it doesn’t smell like the rain on the ranch. You know, that smell of rain the wind blows in before the storm arrives? Man, it’s one of my favorite smells! With the rain here, there is no thunder or lightning. I miss a good thunderstorm. I miss the sound and smell of a nice thunderstorm (I can always do without the lightning, although a good lightning show is pretty when it‘s not damaging things or starting fires). I’m told that the summer brings some thunderstorms, but unfortunately, I won’t be in the village to witness it. Hopefully, I get to catch one somewhere along the way this summer.

I chopped my hair off last week. I mean, it’s short. SO short! I’m still trying to get used to it. I wish it was a little longer, but it’ll grow back. Eventually. HaHa… I love getting new colors, but I always have a phase of fear that I go through after I get a drastic cut to my hair. I’ll grow out of it and I’m sure by next week, I will be used to it and loving it. J Hope so anyway! J

My friend Stef is getting married next month and her 'hen-do' (what we call a bachelorette party) was last weekend.  Apparently, it is an all day, all weekend celebration.  That was more the male side of things, I suppose, as the party was combined with the bride and groom to be.  I joined Saturday afternoon for awhile.  I ended up getting sick (not from too much booze, I would like to add) and went home quite early.  Can't party like I used to!  (And I am JUST FINE with that!)
Stef (far left), Sabrina (Stef's sister), and I


I have begun my search for a new place to live next year and I believe that I have found it!  It has central heating!  YEAH!  :)  It is a much smaller place and very cozy.  The people that own it are the parents of Gregorio (a friend I met here in the beginning) and seem to be very kind.  I will keep you up to speed on that as time progresses.  :)

For now, I am going to close.  I hope this finds you all well!  Love to all!


No comments:

Post a Comment