Me

Me

Saturday, June 30, 2012

I amsterdam.


"I amsterdam" is a theme to Amsterdam.  You see it everywhere, so that is why the title of this entry is as it is.  You can see it in the above picture just in front of the building.  That shot was taken of a museum across the park from where we were staying.

Ok, so Amsterdam... It is a great city & I look forward to visiting again someday.  While we were there, we took a canal cruise, which is recommended to all tourists.  It was nice, but we had some rowdy kids sitting beside us, so I wasn't able to hear much from the guide.  Some of the scenery was nice, though!  Here's a couple shots from along the way...





In my opinion, the canals don't hold a candle to Venice.  Amsterdam is beautiful and I loved it, but the canals of Venice are far better.  Just the opinion of this Kansas girl, anyway... :)

Probably our biggest stop was at the Anne Frank house.  We weren't allowed to take pictures, so this is all you get...


I will admit that I am not typically one for museums and stuff like that.  It's not that I don't like to do it or want to do it, I just feel like I need some sort of connection to it to really get something out of it.  I don't know if that makes sense or not, haha.  Anyway, I was definitely interested in visiting this house, for sure.  I mean, this place was unbelievable.  For not being someone that really gets into these kinds of things, I cried.  Twice, actually.  They had some footage of Anne's dad talking as an older man about what it was like to read her diary for the first time and his reaction and all that... I seriously cried for minute on that one.  To be able to stand where they stood, walk up the extremely steep stairway, walk through the bookshelf entrance to the hiding spot, and to run your hands across the same sink that they used while in hiding.... I don't know how to describe it.  It was seriously a very deep and intense experience for me.  Amazing.

We wandered the streets of Amsterdam, of course, and sometimes came across a few very interesting characters.  After lunch one day, we came out to this plaza area where a street dance crew was getting ready to start a show for the spectators.  I had to watch... Here's a couple shots I was able to get.  Some of them were damn good.



The architecture in Amsterdam is really amazing to see.  Amazing... I use that word a lot, huh?  Well, if it fits...  Anyway, here are a couple pictures I snagged...

This is actually a massive shopping center

Not real sure what this building is, but I just liked the view

Amsterdam, as many of you probably know, is known for a bit more, too.  The saucy side of Amsterdam exists in things such as the Red Light District, coffee shops, and smart shops.  I'm not going to go into a whole bunch of details on here about that.  I'm not sure how much you want to read or know about it, so feel free to send me a personal message or e-mail if you wanna know more about what we experienced in regards to the naughty side of this lovely city.

I have not forgotten about Pearl Jam, the highlight of Amsterdam, in my opinion.  I am going to do another entry just for that.  :)  This stop was really awesome & I hope to visit again someday.  The people are great, the environment is great, the lifestyle seems very relaxed.  I amsterdam... Amazing. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment