Me

Me

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Ubeda and Baeza (field trip)

Things are winding down for my current stay in Spain. After today (Wednesday), I have one week of classes. That translates to 5 days of work. It’s really crazy that it’s over already. I genuinely feel like time has FLOWN by. 
NIE Update: As you know, I’m trying to get my NIE renewed while I am in Spain so I don’t have to do the whole Visa crap again. My current card expires on the 31st of this month. I am told that I have to have an appointment to extend my expiration date BEFORE the 31st. However, I am also told that it is not my responsibility to make this appointment and that I have to rely on the program director (like of the entire program-the one in Madrid) to make the appointment for me. (Great. Because things have gone SO smoothly so far with the things I cannot control.) I did receive an e-mail this week with all of the paperwork I have been waiting on. And guess what?! They messed it up. Yep. Of freakin’ course. On my contract, instead of putting my current school, they put the OTHER primary school in the village. Isabel has contacted the director and all that I am being told is, “Don’t worry.” Do they even know me AT ALL?! And Isabel is going to be gone this entire week! Don’t worry? You’ve got to be kidding me. Of course I am going to worry. I just hope that it works out. I’m ready for this headache to be over so I can kick back & enjoy my summer. Rest assured that regardless of how this NIE thing turns out, I will NOT let it affect my summer.
Anyway… Joanne and I went to Ubeda with the 6th grade last week. It was a HOT day. HOT HOT HOT! And long, too! Technically, we went to Baeza AND Ubeda. Our first stop was at a museum about olive factories. It was pretty boring, to be honest. I think the kids felt the same way, haha. That was just outside of Baeza. Then, we went into the town of Baeza and took a little tour around their town. We saw some of the older parts of the town and learned a bit about its history. These were all walking tours in a heat wave, I must say. I think I went through 4 or 5 bottles of liquid throughout the day. J After that, we moved on to Ubeda. They dropped us off at a park where we ate and the kids played. It was a really nice park. Again… hot as hell! Ha!
Eventually, a little train came up that was going to take us on the next part of our day. It was a tourist train that took us around to all the monuments in town and provided a little history. It was nice break to ride for awhile instead of walk to all these places. Things were quite spread out. They dropped us off where we went to a church and then a synagogue before heading back to our bus. This day started at 8:45 a.m. and we arrived back in the village around 8:00 p.m. LONG day. I can’t speak for Joanne, but I know I was worn out and these kids definitely drain it out of you. The bus ride back to the village was non-stop screaming and yelling and singing from all the kids. Headache? Yep. Headphones to drown it out? Yep. It was an interesting experience, but I would definitely say that the other trips I have been on were far better.
After Baeza waiting for the bus in the park

Some of the beautiful flowers in the park

Our break in the park in Ubeda. The look on Joanne's face says about how exciting the day had been up to that point.  :)  Pedro, Encarna, and Joanne (Encarna is one of the teachers I work with regularly)

Joanne, Encarna, and myself had a coffee break

Our train ride through town :)

Since my last entry about the wedding was quite a lengthy one, I will keep this one short. I have more to write, but I’ll save it for the next entry. I hope that this finds you all well.
T-minus 14 days until Clint arrives in Europe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment