Me

Me

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chicago... A day trip

Oh, man!

I know I have neglected my blogging responsibilities lately and my apologies to my avid reader.  (Singular, on purpose...haha!) 

Since we last spoke, I have been to Chicago to begin the Visa process... Let me tell you about that experience... OH, MAN!  As you've read, this process has just been one headache after another.  Of course my first trip to Chicago could be no different...

Ok, let's start with the fact that I couldn't sleep at all due to the unbelievable nerves I was dealing with.  I had no idea what to expect.  I was incredibly nervous.  My flight was supposed to leave at 6:10 a.m.  My Visa interview was set for 10:20 in downtown Chicago, about a 30 minute taxi ride from O'Hare.  Our little desk clerk man at the airport popped on the PA system and said (at 6:10, mind you... and we hadn't even boarded yet), "Due to some mechanical issues, the flight to Chicago will be delayed.  We'll keep you posted."  Breathe, Ashley.  Just breathe.  I patiently waited until 6:40 when we hadn't heard anything yet about these mechanical issues or if our flight would ever take off.  So, I joined about 50 others in a line to talk to the desk clerk man.  I was very kind and politely asked about other options and tried to explain my interview importance (the fact that the my future was resting on it, etc).  The desk clerk man kindly informed me he could transfer me to a United flight to Chicago that was leaving in 10 minutes.  I, literally, had to run from one point of the airport to the complete opposite side.  GOOD THING IT WAS JUST WICHITA!  I made it.  And just in time for a Chicago arrival during morning rush hour...awesome.  As I sat in the taxi on my way through the city of Chicago, I kept thinking, "Man, my dad would be PISSED right now!"  HaHa... the traffic was at a standstill on more than 10 occasions, haha!

So now we are in Chicago... I was 30 minutes early for my interview.  They, however, were an hour and 10 minutes late for my interview.  It was just fantastic.  Now, I was picturing this whole experience as an "interview" scenario.  I expected to be called into an office or board room setting and interviewed, right?  Nope.  That is not how it works at all.  You walk into this room that reminds you a lot of the waiting room in a doctor's office.  There was two rows of chairs for people to sit in and 3 glass windows in front of you.  THAT is where you get interviewed.  You walk up and talk to a person through the glass with everyone else chilling in the waiting room.  They didn't listen to you, but they sure could have if they wanted to.  So, finally, at 11:30, my name gets called... At this point, I am kinda just annoyed and really tired of dealing with all of this stuff, so I'm not really nervous.  I'm prepared.  I have everything I need.  Or so I thought.  I hand this man all of my stuff and he checks it all over and makes polite conversation (in English) with me.  Then... He asks me, "Where is your apostille?"  I point to what I thought (and was told) was the "apostille."  He quickly corrected me and said it was not the apostille and that I would have to get ahold of the Secrectary of State of KS in order to get this "apostille."  Are you FREAKIN' kidding me?!  He was a very nice guy... and said they'd process the visa application and to just bring the "apostille" when I pick up the Visa.  Yes, I have to go back to Chicago again & pick up the Visa in person.  Another exciting part of this whole adventure.  :)  My "interview" is now over & I am free to go.  I now must wait for their e-mail so I can go pick it up.

A fun part of this adventure... I hailed my first taxi!!  HaHa!  And I was successful on my first try!!  Headed back to the airport where I lunched & waiting for my departure at Gate G17.  I just happened to check on the departure/arrival screen to verify my flight.  This is where I found out I was not departing from G17... I was departing from a different terminal.  I then had to make my way to that new terminal where I found I was not the only one dealing with this excitement of a flight schedule.  Little bonus to the flight home... I got to sit by myself!!  No rude neighbor, no crying baby... just me.  I did my best to sleep, but not too successfully. 

THAT was my Chicago adventure... It was awful!  As soon as I got back, I contacted the Secretary of State's office.  I asked, rather annoyed, how long this apostille thing was going to take.  I was expecting a few weeks... She said, "if you walk in, it will only take a few moments!"  OMG!  I haven't heard something so positive in such a long time!!!  I actually had to go to Kansas City the following week, so I made a little detour and got everything taken care of!!  I now have ALL of my documentation and am not STRESSED anymore... Well, less stressed.  I doubt stress will ever fully vacate my life.  HaHa. 

Ok, so that's gonna be my entry for now.  I am a little more free with my time, so expect more soon!!  I have some big news coming soon!!  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment