Me

Me

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Roots & Wings (Going Public!)

Well, hello friends!

This entry will be the first time I "share" my blog on Facebook & start actually giving the link to my friends and family.  As you can see, I've been occasionally posting since June.  For those of you who are reading my blog, please be warned: There should be a "Parental Advisory" sticker on it.  :)  I want my journal to be as authentic as possible.  Therefore, you may see my frustrations in a language not suitable for children.  I will do my best to keep it at a minimum, I promise.  I just want you to feel as close to what I am feeling as possible.  That said, I will continue on with this entry... ENJOY!

I have thought a lot in the last few weeks since I've been back home and had some time to myself... thought about how awesome this experience will be and it has made me reflect on my past, too.  In high school, I would NEVER have imagined something like this becoming a reality for me.  It was never even in my frame of mind.  I am incredibly lucky that I get to do this.  Thinking about how lucky I am, I got to thinking about how lucky I've been... Let me elaborate...

No one's life is perfect; mine least of all.  I've never thought that.  In fact, I grew up being pretty negative about things.  I always wanted more or hated how things were.  In hindsight, I see how negative I was and the attitude I had (there, Dad, I admitted it!).  I found things to complain about, when in reality, I have had a pretty good life so far.  Yes, I've had some obstacles thrown in my way.  You all know that well enough.  But I have became the person I am today because of those obstacles and my efforts to move past them.  Let it be known that I am not saying things are easier, I sure as hell still have my bad days and times that I don't think will pass... But every single time, things do get better.  And that attitude?  I still have it.  It's more that I am a stubborn person.  Hmmm... wonder where I got that?  :)

To continue...  I want to highlight some of the things I have been lucky enough to experience.  Don't think of this as a bragging session.  It is nothing like that.  This is my reflection.

First and foremost, I have some amazing family and friends that have shared these experiences or have encouraged me throughout.  I couldn't or wouldn't have done it without that.  That's certain.

In my younger years, I was lucky enough to have a family to go on vacations with.  My parents were really good about taking us places and I think that has led to the bond that we share and the familial values that we possess now.  We went places that, I won't lie, I HATED (Skiing, anyone?).  And at the time, I am positive I would have rather been anywhere else!  But looking back, there's no where else I should have been.  Even if I was falling my way down a mountain in Colorado.  I was lucky enough to have a family to do those things and record those memories with.  Some may not have been so fortunate.  Some of my favorite trips were the football games.  Dad was very good about taking us to some Wildcat bowl games.  I don't think I ever saw them win, though.  HaHa, go figure.  I remember a Chiefs/Bills game (quite unlike the one last week, mind you) that we went down to the lower level to visit with Steve Tasker.  I also remember my junior year of high school... Dad took us to see Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top in Wichita.  I was so excited to see ZZ Top!!  (Skynyrd, too, but La Grange?-Hell yeah!)  I'm grateful for the memories.  My family is not perfect, but it has been a fun ride. :)

I went to JuCo at Cloud in Concordia.  I had a scholarship to be a part of the Great Society (the show choir).  As a part of that group, we got to do a little traveling.  One of my favorite places was Oregon.  It's so pretty up there!  We went to Portland to perform, but had a day off to be tourists.  We went to a beach about an hour away.  When we walked onto this beach, many of us looked around and thought it looked familiar for some reason.  Turns out, we were on Cannon Beach... where they filmed THE GOONIES!  (One of the GREATEST movies!)  We were like kids on the beach that day!  HaHa!

I've also got to make a couple trips to Mexico (prior to all the drug cartel issues).  Cozumel, to be exact.  If you have the chance to go, DO IT!  It is fairly inexpensive and it is one of the most beautiful places!  Crystal clear blue/green waters, friendly locals, and plenty of things to do and see!  It was awesome!  While you are there, do not forget to board the Jean Lafitte for a Pirate Booze Cruise adventure that you'll never forget!!

I've been to Vegas a few times.  It was one of our vacations as kids and that was a blast, for sure.  Going as an adult?  A whole different kind of fun!  Treasure Island is my favorite hotel followed closely by Caesar's Palace.  I went with my bestie from Cloud when we turned 21.  We got to see Tyra Banks with all the other "Angels Across America" Victoria's Secret models at the Bellagio.  We rode the rides on top of the Stratosphere (a HUGE accomplishment for this girl who is TERRIFIED of heights).  I got to go with a group last time and we had an incredible time!  One of the nights, we all dressed up in our finest and rented a limo.  We then made our way to our PRIVATE cabana on top of Caesar's Palace for a VIP night we will never forget (thanks to the pictures)!  We had our own security guard and bottle service.  Classy.  HaHa!

I have been to Chicago, Florida, California, Detroit, and Alaska, to name a few.  I've seen Eminem live 4 times, 3 of those times from the front row and twice in his hometown.  I've had unbelievable experiences on weekend or day trips with my friends that are too numerous to mention.  Maybe in another time of reflection, I'll bring those up, but not right now... You all know who you are and what we shared! 

One more highlight, however, that deserves mentioning and is the primary reason I chose to embark on this journey to Spain... My 2 1/2 week adventure to Peru in South America in the summer of 2010.  I went on it, originally, as a new experience and wanting to see another culture and way of life.  I got way more out of it than an experience.  I don't want to go too into detail because I could write for days.  I'll highlight some of the things I got to do... I tried so many new foods (blood pudding, alpaca, ceviche, mussels)!  I got to paraglide in the Andes.  Let's remember, I'm terrified of heights, but I thought there would be no better way to confront that fear than head on.  It was unbelievable!  The final highlight I want to mention:  I got to hike and see firsthand Machu Picchu.  It was honestly indescribable.  Beautiful!  And it's so well-kept and preserved.  The Inca sure new what they were doing.  Amazing.  That's all I can say.  Simply Amazing.

Because of that trip abroad, I decided to apply for this program.  It's a much longer adventure than 2 1/2 weeks, sure.  But the things I am going to be fortunate enough to see will be the trip of a lifetime for me.  I hope that I can put it into words (and eventually photos) well enough for you to feel as if you are there.  I am going to try.  :)

I know that this entry is fairly lengthy.  If you've made it this far, I hope that I haven't bored you.  I know it's not as exciting to read as it is for me to write it, but I appreciate that you did. 

Please feel free to comment or send me messages with advice on how to better my blog for your reading purposes.  I hope that you enjoy it! 

Thanks to my family and friends for supporting my decisions and helping me get through this.  Lord knows it's been pretty trying sometimes and I've considered giving up on occasion, but I'm glad I stuck it out.  Largely in part of the support I received.  Thank you.  So much!

1 comment:

  1. I'm soooo jacked to adventure to Spain w/ you!!!! -Louree

    ReplyDelete