Me

Me

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sneak Peak from Belgium

Hello from Belgium!


Leah & Cristophe are at a brunch, so I thought I'd take a little time to write a blog entry before I get ready for the day.  I thought I'd share a few pictures with you of what I've seen so far.  You will have to wait until the journey is complete before I post the whole lot of them on Facebook.  :)  Here's just the sneak peak for my faithful readers.  :)

I got to Belgium Friday evening.  I arrived in Brussels and Ghent is about an hour away (in traffic).  We went to an Irish pub called 'The Cellar' on Friday evening for a couple of Leah's friends birthdays.  Here, I tried Duvel (a beer) and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Then, I had a Snake Bite.  I love them when we make them at the Rail, so I thought I'd try it.  We make them wrong, apparently, haha.  There was half cider, half pilsner... and then the bartender added Creme de Cassis, a dark liquer, to it.  It was quite pleasant.  Not what I was expecting, but quite pleasant.


Here is a picture of Ghent at night.  Isn't it gorgeous with the canals?

 Yesterday, we went to Dinant. It's in the southern part of Belgium, the french speaking part. I have learned since arriving that there are 3 national languages for Belgium; Dutch, French, & German. In Dinant, there was an old fortress and cathedral. It is very interesting to see structures such as this still standing and then learning about its history. The architecture was amazing to see.  I will go into further detail at a later date, I just wanted to highlight the trip so far.  We're going to the place where waffles were invented today.  I think we're also going to the Gravensteen castle.  I'll write more about all of this later.  I just thought you should get a little taste of my adventure thusfar.  :)

This is a picture from the street.  The cathedral is right in front and the fortress is high above it on the cliff.  The rest of my photos in this entry are from the top.

Looking down on the cathedral

This is what you see in one direction from the top.  I believe it is called the Meuse River.  I'll let you know if that's incorrect.

And this is what you see in the other direction from the top

This is inside the cathedral.  Very pretty, huh?

Well, I'm going to go get ready for the day.  I just wanted to say hello from Belgium and give you a sampling of some photos.  More to come, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment